Thursday 7 May 2015

Campers- Day 3

Children have the luxury of youthful ignorance. They cry when they get a scratch on the knee while we as adults can brush off such an injury with ease. They overflow with happiness without the aid of monetary stimuli when we as adults and young adults are scratching and clawing for our next pay check regardless of social class. Children don't know what their circumstances entail, all that matters is the next activity of the day and playing with their friends. Luckily, myself and the rest of the Impact India participants are able to be that next activity for some of the most rambunctious and eager kids I've ever came across. These are Indian children from the slums of Mumbai and all they care about is having fun and they crave human interaction and attention. It's amazing that with the language barrier all of us here on the trip are able to communicate and bond with these incredible children through body language, energy and human emotion. One might think children who come from the slums of India may not have the best manners or ability to cooperate but I was blown away when my friend Nicki and Himbi tried to clear my plate for me after lunch without even asking. Their parents work hard to make a living and their grandparents worked even harder throughout their lives. I wonder what the future holds for these wonderful children who are ambitious, determined, energetic and no different than the kids back home in Canada - however, these kids don't have iPhones and computers to spoil they're time, just each other and the next fun activity in their way. I look forward to spending another few days running activities for these amazing children and I'll be sad to say goodbye.

-Jonah Osher

No comments:

Post a Comment