Monday 11 May 2015

Jewish India- Day 6

Growing up in Toronto, my Jewish identity was defined by the family, friends and community around me. Although religion and faith is something so personal, it is the people around you that allow you to find yourself and find your love for God. Having such a vibrant and involved community around me back home, my perception of a Jewish community has been quite narrow minded. This past day the impact group had the opportunity and privilege to spend an afternoon at the local Mumbai JCC. We ate lunch, played ping pong, chess and Carem with Jewish Indian young adults just like ourselves. Just like myself, these are young Jewish people who came out to their community centre to enjoy a nice Sunday afternoon. The facilities were different than what I was used to as well the size of the group was smaller too, however, what spoke to me was this idea of Jewish community and how Judaism can thrive in any community. Over the past week in Mumbai I have noticed how strong the Jewish community is and how passionate the people are. It may not be big but it still has that feel of love and togetherness. It has been a true pleasure being able to spend this time with the amazing local Jews here in Mumbai. 

-Russel

No comments:

Post a Comment