Thursday 14 May 2015

Food- Day 10

Keeping kosher in Toronto is such a breeze, being in India for just about 2 weeks I can now truly say I understand the difficulty of keeping kosher. 
Our first meal in the morning was at the Chabad house where we waited a long time but enjoyed a wonderful Israeli style breakfast. My favourite throughout the trip has been the shakshuka which comes with a roll, Israeli salad and a fruit shake- that morning I had pear. 
Throughout the trip we had omelette or grilled vegetable sandwiches for lunch and cereal, fruit, peanut butter and sometimes rolls for breakfast. Compared to the others our cuisine was pretty tame and North American. That is until we looked further into the matter and were able to enjoy simple rice and lentil dishes: paper dosa, idli and utapa, along with freshly squeezed fruit juices. The dosa is paper thin, chewy and crispy and served folded into what looks like a tube. Idli is steeped and it was kind of bland. The utopia was similar to a pancake and tasted great wit some sprinkledsugar. I ate mine often with some banana slices.
A second challenge of the trip was not being able to eat unpeeled fruit, as well I am allergic to mangos, but I was able to try a chikoo. The chikoo reminded me of the texture of a pear, with the sweetness of a fig or date. It became difficult some days since a lot of times we could not have access to Chabad meals and the rice and lentil dishes were very carb heavy and there is only so much fruit one can eat. We each packed our own protein bars and snacks, but we all are in need for a good cooked meal. 
For Lag Baomer we had BBQ at Chabad, where they shared with us the last of their beef that was brought into India. Since then they have not been allowed to bring it in.
Shabbat at Chabad was not too much different for me as a vegetarian; lots of Israeli style salatim such as matbucha, then, chums, babaganush, egg salad, beets and fried eggplant.The first course was a lovely light salmon and for the main they served chicken, rice and green beans with cashews and mushrooms. Dessert was a non-dairy chocolate and vanilla mousse that really hit the spot. I did not go to bed hungry thats for sure.
Lunch the next day was similar with salatim, battered fish with a spicy sauce, a green salad with candied nuts and of course chulent, followed by a moist chocolate cake. 
For me I think the hardest parts were with the lack of dairy products, green vegetables, and having to think constantly from ml to meal. I am leaving India excited to return to the simplicity, amazed at the challenges we faced, but happy I was able to enjoy a real chai tea. 

- Ruchie

No comments:

Post a Comment